Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Houston we have liftoff!


- Can I play sports?
- "Yes"

Oh, what a sweet sweet word.

I didn't know what to expect going in. I figured it was a coin toss 50/50 chance of being allowed to play. I put my cards and effort on the table and had to hope for the best. After a 2 hour wait to see a random doctor in the clinic, he gave me the good news and congratulated me for graduating the 6 month mark. Tested out the ACL and said I'm clear to play. No brace and no restrictions. Just go easy on it at first. Also, try and even out the 2 legs in terms of muscle size. Out of the blue, the massive headache I had all morning suddenly disappeared.

I'll be sticking with personal training 1-2 days a week until both my legs are equal and who knows, maybe I'll stick with a personal trainer forever. I figure the stronger my leg / core muscles are the less risk of re-injury or injuring the right leg. Lesson learned: don't tear your ACL.

Now, to find an ultimate team to sub for...

3 comments:

Summer said...

Congrats!! (And, thanks for the BOSU tips...) Glad you got the official 'go' and good luck as you ease back into it! You'll be surprised how natural it feels after you get past the first few awkward moments!!

I am 8 days behind you-- 6 months here I come!

Cheers!

Mireille said...

That is awesome! I hope you're playing Ultimate right now!!

Andrew said...

Thanks!

Unfortunately I couldn't find any teams this week to play on. But fortunately the team I joined in September (with the hope I'd be able to play in Oct) is playing on Monday. So that'll probably be my first game.