Friday, August 21, 2009

20th week post op!

20 down, 6 more to go!

I have to admit I'm getting a little nervous that in 6 weeks my left leg won't be up to par. Unfortunately this weeks' new pair of shoes has given me extremely painful blisters on my feet that has left me limping around on both feet and unable to do my physio. Personal training started this week, however, all he ended up doing was manual therapy on me... which is somewhat disappointing. Apparently we'll be starting on muscle strengthening next week.

My physio has tossed around the word "proprioception" but I've never fully appreciated what it meant until I started juggling while standing one legged on the bosu ball. Normally, both my legs are fairly equal while standing on the bosu, but add juggling to the mix and it's completely different. I can balance a lot better on my right leg while juggling then my left. This is good news in one way: I can measure improvements in the propriocepters in my knee while doing this routine!

I've also crossed the 50 day mark, woohoo!

6 comments:

Mireille said...

Ouch! Maybe not the best time to be breaking in new shoes... ;-)

6 weeks is plenty of time to get up to par. Keep working at it!

Mireille said...

Do you have a date for your next surgeon's appoint.?

Andrew said...

sure do. Oct 6. That'll be the green light / red light day. I'm hoping for green!

Mireille said...

I will cross my fingers and toes!

Summer said...

Whoa-- you can juggle?! ;)

I am still considering buying a bosu, so I too can be enlightened on my strengths, weaknesses, and balance concerns. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

One thing my therapist said is to not hit the field (or, court.. or mountain..etc) until you are confident. Chances are, your leg is up to par. But if YOU don't THINK you're up to par, you may play timid, therefore doing more unnatural motions than you would if you just played normally. So, keep that in mind when heading back out. I know I'm going to a soccer 'practice' next week -- my first stab at soccer again-- and it will help build my confidence for that first game... one day!

Andrew said...

Well if you decide to get a bosu, I can describe my routines for you. I'm on the bosu every morning doing at least some balance routines and some days some strengthening ones. I'd highly recommend it!

Your physio is dead on! Doing unnatural motions to protect the new leg will only make things worse. I'm still doing it though because it's soo hard to break the safety mechanism!

Good luck at the practice!