Tuesday, August 4, 2009

4 months in review!

4 months down, 2 to go!

I met with another random doctor today to go over my knee. The new ACL is great, flexion and extension are great. I mentioned the catching problem and she said to build up my muscles as there's a significant difference between my two legs. I also mentioned the pain in the back of my knee while fully flexing and her response was "It's nothing to worry about". Not exactly the answer I was looking for but oh well.

After looking over the surgical report that said I'd lost 50% of the lateral meniscus and the cracks in the cartilage she asked: "Are you planning on going back to Ultimate?". I responded with a resounding: "Oh Yeah!". "You're one of the diehards eh?". I have an appointment in 2 months with the actual surgeon who will either give me the green light to play again, or the red light backhand to the face. I've got a lot of work to do the next 2 months to get both legs equal in strength, but I'm up for the challenge!

The past month changes:
  • Tingling in foot is now gone.
  • Fat-Pad slightly catching every now and then, not as bothersome as it used to be
  • Running is a lot more normal.
  • One-legged hopping is better
  • I can skip rope much more confidently now!
My goal for the next 2 months is having both legs equal in strength, balance, agility, and flexibility.

60 days left!!

6 comments:

Mireille said...

Why are you meeting with random doctors? That seems strange to me.

Anyway, you got positive feedback so that is good. Did you get the ok to do more intense plyometrics?

Andrew said...

I'm not sure what the deal is but everytime I'm in the fracture clinic there's different doctors / interns there along with the same surgeon. Due to this just being a routine checkup I think he gets some new intern to check me out since he's busy.

To be honest, I think I'd have done a better check up than she did (she didn't compare the flexion / extension to the other knee).

I forgot to ask, but my protocol says to wait until 4 months before doing intense plyometrics, which I'm at now. So I'm just gonna start doing them and hope for the best! =)

Mireille said...

Sheesh, and then they bill the health care system for that... Hehe!

I started doing my plyometrics in the pool to build up my confidence. You seem to be a step ahead, though.

Andrew said...

A step ahead or a step behind, in the greater scheme it's not gonna matter as our ACL's are going to heal at the same rate. You're still making great progress and have no complications which is a huge thing!

Mireille said...

Hi Andrew:

Met with my surgeon this morning and asked about the pain in the back of the knee.

He said it is a combination of the tightness and scar tissue due to surgery.

He says it could take up to a year to heal completely and, even then, there may always be a bit of pain when sitting on my knees. It's nothing to worry about, though.

A bit of a bummer but I am hopeful it will go away!

Mireille

Andrew said...

Thanks for the info! I hope it does go away!