Monday, June 22, 2009

Jogging 101

On Saturday I attemped jogging for the first time since the injury (9? 10? months ago). It also coincides with the first time I have ever used a treadmill. Due to this last fact I had trouble *walking* on the treadmill at first. I'm more used to my body moving when I take a step forward, not some pad underneath me.

Anyway... after 10 minutes of walking and speed walking and building up confidence to run, eventually, with 2 hands on the bar in front of me, I started to jog. I put a lot of weight on the bar just to feel safe but I knew I had to eventually remove myself from the "training wheels" and go it at it freestyle. At first I was using my right leg a lot more than my left but eventually (through lots of self confidence building) I managed to equal them out and jog normally!! No pain or swelling afterwards so I can continue to jog indefnitely! Well, maybe not indefinitely. Right now jogging for me consists of 1 minute of jogging and 1 minute of speed walking, 10 minutes total.

I've also been running up stairs which feels great! Although my physio didn't say it was ok, I'll just assume it is!

No comments: