Tuesday, June 2, 2009

2 Months in Review

Today I met with the surgeeeeoo.... doctor to go over my knee. Everytime I visit the fracture clinic I see a different doctor. My surgeon didn't show up as it was a pretty basic examination. This doctor tested the acl and checked out the knee. Diagnosis: grrreeeaaat! I do, however, need to work on hyperextension to match my other leg. He mentioned that I can expect to return to competitive sports at the 6 month post op mark which lifted my spirits up!

Accomplishments since the last month:

  • Almost full flexion, minus a couple of degrees
  • Walking is normal
  • small hops on the one leg
  • bumped up the weights on hamstring curls to 30 lbs for 3 sets of 10
  • the inner quad is working properly and is looking better every day.

Goals for the next month:

  • match my good leg for extension and flexion.
  • start light jogging
  • hop on the one leg with more confidence
  • build up more quad / hamstring / core strength
  • protect the graft
2 months down, 4 more to go! woohoo!

4 comments:

Mireille said...

You are doing great!!

I guess I can't blame my slower progress on my additional injuries. I took comfort in the fact that I damaged more than my ACL...

I better kick things into high gear now. You are quite the inspiration.

Summer said...

Nice work, Andrew! (and, i am loving how all of us ACL bloggers are now following each other's progress... cool, eh?)

I noticed you said your doc (or, therapist?) wants your surgical knee to match your other in terms of hyperextension... My therapist doesn't seem to be focusing on that. Do you perhaps only have a *slight* hyperextension to match? Mine are quite different even tho I believe I have full extension...

Happy healing!

Andrew said...

Ya it's totally a support group!

The doctor that checked out my knee mentioned having them match. I've read this a few places that you want both legs to be equal. Now... I asked my physiotherapist about that about 5 weeks ago and he said "usually the surgeon will tighten the new acl more than the other leg as it usually stretches a little over time". Take that with a grain of salt though.

The other thing is that my legs hyper-extend a little more than normal. So I probably have to do a bit extra work to get it normal (for me).

Full extension is the key though, so if you already have it, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Cheers!

Katie said...

Andrew! You are doing so well and will be performing picture-perfect layouts in no time! (I used to play Ultimate, maybe I'll get back after this ACL biz-ness.)
It's only the beginning of the month, so best of luck with reaching your goals...and keep us posted on progress :)