Friday, May 29, 2009

8 Weeks Post Op!

It's hard to believe it's been almost 2 months since surgery. Time is definitely flying now! I've been hitting the gym 6-7 times a week and sometimes twice a day, mainly for the bike, but also for:

Hammies!

I think my hamstring muscles are playing games with me. I originally thought doing 3 sets of 10 with 10 lbs weights on the hamstring curl machine was tough. But I decided to move up anyway and bumped it up to 15 lbs. 15 lbs felt the exact same as 10 lbs. So I bumped it up to 20 lbs and felt the exact same toughness as it did with 10/15 lbs. I could still do 3 sets of 10. My hamstrings didn't feel sore the next day either. So it appears my hammies are pretending to be weak when in reality they aren't. It still feels like I'm straining them a bit, but apparently that's ok!

Since it's the 8 week mark, according to my acl rehab protocol, I should be trying to light jog. But the first step in jogging is hopping on the one foot. I'm still slightly timid on doing this as I'm terrified of ripping/stretching/crunching/snapping/breaking my new acl. But after some slow warmups (on the trampoline and glider) I finally managed to hop from one position to another!

18 more weeks to go!

3 comments:

Michele said...

Good luck with your ACL recovery!

I am two year post-op and my knee is great. I read several of your posts and remember the challenges of PT. I had a hamstring graft and still lift weights to maintain strength.

Andrew said...

Nice! Glad to hear you're knee is doing well!

Do you find your hamstring a little weaker than your good knee?

Michele said...

Yes...it is a little weaker.