Friday, May 1, 2009

1 Month Down, 5 more to go!!

Ok maybe in 2 days it will be one month, but it has been 4 weeks and I'm too excited to knock off 1 month till I can play Ultimate again.

My progress has been great. I'm back in full force for bending (120+ degrees) and I still have full extension. I've been taking it easier on the physio as per Mark's instructions. My leg strength and balance is very good. Walking is *almost* normal. I still have some swelling above the kneecap but with the reduced workouts that should go down soon enough. My left quads are quite significantly smaller than my right. But that's ok, more work for me! I get the odd aches and pains every now and then but they seem to disappear within a day. The bruising has fully disappeared too, although I still have a small scab on the bigger incision .

While in physio this week another girl had an acl reconstruction surgery a week after mine. She went to the same surgeon (Dr. Theodoropoulos) . She was told to use crutches and the immobilizer for 2 weeks after her surgery and then after that she was allowed to ditch one or the other. She was also told to bend her knee right away. (I was told no knee bending for 10 days, but could ditch the crutches as soon as possible, and after 10 days could ditch the immobilizer). So it looks like the surgeon tailors the rehab (specifically the first few weeks) to each individual instead of just a common rehab. I always thought everyone gets the same rehab but I'm definitely glad I had mine, even though I had to spend extra effort bending, I'm happy I could ditch that horrible immobilizer right away!

I've also discovered I'm starting to hate acupuncture. I know it's good for breaking up the scar tissue and, with the electric stimulation, helping rekindle the muscles. Originally I didn't mind it but having it done 3 times a week is starting to get on my nerves (especially when the needle goes right in a nerve). I so loathe those dreaded words: "I'll get the acupuncture"

My goals for the next month are:
  • protect the graft (be careful going downstairs or ramps, no jogging)
  • get rid of all swelling + scar tissue (30 min on the bike each day should help this, plus reduce the # of workouts)
  • more quad strength without causing more swelling (more Intense workouts but do them less often)
  • Strengthen the hammies
  • Loosen up the knee (30 min bike every day)
  • Maintain my balance, ( I don't think it can get better, but keep it top knotch)
And the most important goal: Increase positivity!

No comments: