Friday, July 3, 2009

3 months in review! (13 weeks post op)

3 down, 3 to go!

The last month has had some setbacks and gains. Overall I can't tell that much difference between now and the last month. I think my knee looks about the same.

The good:
  • Jogging again: after 2 weeks I'm almost feeling normal again.
  • Skipping rope: I no longer double jump.
  • Doing one legged squats without bosu has helped the fat pad catching problem
  • Extension matches the other leg, while flexion is almost there
  • Running up stairs.
The bad:
  • kneecap fat pad is catching when I hyper-extend and then bend quickly.
  • tingling in my middle toe.
  • still have knee soreness / tiny bit of pain + inflammation.
The awesome:
  • Only 3 more months to go!

I'd say my motivation dropped this month due to the small problems that have arisen. I guess I assumed everything would constantly get better but that doesn't seem to be the case. ACL rehab has it's ups and downs. Right now, I feel like I'm heading back into the "ups".

I can't wait for this next month to be over as then I'll be able to do the hardcore physio stuff: plyometrics, sprinting, and jumping.

Goals:
  • Become very very comfortable doing one legged squats without the bosu (for some reason being on the bosu is easier for me) Hopefully this will get rid of the fatpad catching problem
  • Become more comfortable with jogging. Right now I still have to think a lot while running.
  • Get ready for the high-level physio coming in the next month.

3 comments:

Mireille said...

I had the same fat pad problem but it's practically gone now -- took about 17 weeks. The muscle strengthening is what helped me. Keep doing what you're doing and it'll be gone in no time.

My major setback right now resembles your toe tingling -- except mine is tingling/twitching/shocks in my shin. Really strange... Never heard of this problem. I feel it mostly going up and down stairs.

Don't let yourself get down... keep your motivation up! :-)

Andrew said...

Cool, that's good to hear!


In your shin? is it around the area that's numb? I get "needles feeling" in that area every now and then.

Mireille said...

The numbness is just beneath the knee on the shin but the weird feeling is a bit below that. My physio says it's just the nerve regenerating. I hope he's right!