Friday, April 17, 2009

2 Weeks in Review

It's hard to believe it's been 2 weeks since the surgery. It's nice to know I'm on the road to recover rather than just prepping for surgery. I'm currently behind schedule with the progress of my knee due to being told not to bend my knee for 10 days after surgery. I should never have been told this but it's water under the bridge now.

Status:
  • I've gone from a 30 degrees bend to 60 degrees in 3 days due to extensive bending while programming.
  • I have full extension
  • I'm currently able to step up stairs (albeit, very slowing) but going down stairs is very difficult at this time.
  • My legs feel like they've retained a fair amount of muscle which is great.
  • The glider is fairly easy with 3 bands (lying down quad squats).
  • I can do lots one legged calf raises.
  • Balance is fairly decent: I can last for minutes without help while doing a one legged balance on an unstable pad.
  • My hamstring is currently the weak part. It gets pulled fairly often, but this is normal considering 2 of my hamstring tendons are now inside my knee pretending to be an ACL.
  • Walking is not normal at this time due to having to force my knee to bend.
  • I haven't felt pain in awhile, but I still take ibuprofen,aspirin, tylenol a couple of times a day to help with the soreness and reduce some of the inflammation
  • Sleeping is almost normal again. My body enjoys waking up at 4am for silly reasons.
Goals:

My exercises, 3 times a day, are: squats, calf raises, hip raises, leg raises, one legged balance, quad crunches, glutes extensions. Plus the usual non stop bending of my knee to catch up. My goal is to get to 90+ degrees bending within the week

At this point my moral is fairly high, although at times it's hard not to think about the lost meniscus + cartilage cracks which will eventually lead to osteoarthritis. When I get back into sports I'll have to decide between 2 options: Reduce the number of nights a week I play or face the consequences of pain in the knee in 5 years.

Regardless of the downsides, positivity is my best option at this point. How to remain positive? Watching ultimate frisbee videos of course! This college team to have recorded all their tournaments and packaged all the highlights into one video.

No comments: